St Austell Liberal Democrats have selected 18 year old Jack Satterthwaite as their candidate for the St Austell Town Council By-Election for the Poltair Ward. This follows the resignation of local MP Steve Double. The election will take place on Thursday 29th October.
If elected, Jack will be one of the youngest councillors on a principal local authority anywhere in the country. He is studying for his A levels. He currently chairs the St Austell Youth Council and, in that capacity, attends and reports to the Town Council regularly. Indeed he attends more Town Council meetings than many councillors do.
Through the Youth Council, Jack was heavily involved in the planning of the successful outdoor cinema events held at the Football Club in the last two years. He has also helped to organise an ongoing campaign to improve bus services and lower fares, not only in St. Austell but across the county.
Among the issues which he will be promoting in his election campaign are:
- The need to keep the House at Polkyth open and protect council services for young people.
- Protecting the local police force from the severe cuts being threatened by the Conservative Government.
- Keeping a close eye on any large scale planning applications for housing developments in St Austell. Jack believes that recent planning permissions meet the housing need here.
- Encouraging more events like Feast Week (he is a member of their committee) to strengthen the community life and economy of St Austell.
- Seeking improvements to the parking and traffic problems in many parts of the Poltair Ward.
Jackie Bull, the Liberal Democrat Cornwall Councillor for Poltair said:
“Jack is a candidate of the highest quality whom I recommend strongly. I am delighted that he has agreed to stand for the Town Council. He is young but already very experienced and strongly committed to improving the fortunes of St Austell. It would help me greatly as a Cornwall Councillor to be able to work with him closely in the future”.
For more information, please contact Jack Satterthwaite (07414 708960) or Malcolm Brown (01726 63696).
Jack can also be found on twitter by clicking here